The village of Headley (meaning 'clearing in the heath') stands on high ground above a loop of the Southern River Wey. It is mentioned in the Domesday Book as 'Hallege'.
The parish borders on Surrey and comprises a number of hamlets as well as the village itself: these are Standford, Arford, Headley Down, Barford, Wishanger. Sleaford, Trottsford, and part of Hollywater.
The Heart of the Village
At the heart of the parish is All Saints' Church. There has been a Church on the present site since the 12th century at least, possibly succeeding a Saxon Church of timber, but the nave and chancel were largely reconstructed in the late 1850s. A small portion of stained glass survives from the 12th century building.
The tower is dated at around 1380, and had a shingled spire until 1836 when it burnt down and was replaced later by the present battlements and pinnacles. The clock on the tower was added in 1900 in memory of the son of Sir Robert Wright and has now (2018) been refurbished ready for the next 100 years...
On a grass triangle outside The Holly Bush in the High Street stands a chestnut tree, planted in 1891 on the site of the old stocks. Around its base is a circular metal seat, and on this are inscribed six of the old ways of spelling Headley.
The High Street and the nearby hamlet of Arford were once the commercial centre of the parish, with shops supplying most local needs. Now everything in Arford has gone except for The Crown, and only three shops remain with the The Holly Bush in the High Street.